Sunday, July 25, 2010

IF: doubled flowers

So I was reading a couple of the best art magazines (Juxtapoz and Hi-Fructose)and it inspired me to try and do something a little outside of my usual parameters.  This is what I came up with:

It's really the first time I've drawn these characters, so they should develop a lot more as I work my way through them.  The original idea was that I wanted to do three characters using basic shapes to make them - the circle, the square and the triangle.  Then I wanted to put something weird on each one of their heads - and really was stumped after putting a toe on the circle's head.  So the triangle ended up getting eyeballs on antennas, and the square originally had the number 2 on top of his head, but that changed to green horns when I cleaned up the drawing.

I wanted to populate the grass with a lot of flowers and originally had one type of flower that I was going to duplicate over and over...but that didn't look as good as I thought it would - so instead I drew a series of strange flowers and then copied it and put it's double somewhere on the other side of the hill.

After coloring it in Photoshop I took the original lines (which I keep as vector, so I can continue to edit them if necessary) into Illustrator and self colored the lines.  What makes it really easy is to copy over the color into illustrator as well, and then change all the lines into shapes.  Then you can just select a line you want to color, eyedrop a color and darken it.

1 comment:

poppylocke said...

Cute scene, and I love the characters :)

 
Free Hit Counter