Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Frankenpenguin

I'm currently working on this piece I call Frankenpenguin. I actually did this a couple of years ago while I was working at Nickelodeon...I was trying to get back into painting so I could have some finished pieces. And I've always hated watercolor but felt that I could work with it (and it's the easiest to use...but terribly unforgiving if you screw up. Anyway - this drawing I really liked - I was doing a series of characters that I designed as different classic horror movie characters. I did one as dracula, one as Ash (from Evil Dead 2) and this one...which was a slight take on Frankenstein:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I liked the color and everything - but didn't care that much for the pose - nor did I like that the character had no expression...but I couldn't do anything about it because it was already done...also - there was no background...so even though it was done, it still felt like it needed to be completed. This last Saturday I printed out the drawing that's been up on my myspace page since the beginning and dropped a piece of tracing paper on top to redo it...this is the rough - and today I'm going to spend cleaning it up (first in illustrator and then by hand onto my watercolor block) and paint it either this afternoon or tomorrow.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I think this one is a better drawing (a bit) in terms of character pose (he's no longer floating) and emotion (he doesn't just have a blank look on his face)...maybe years in the future when I'm an even better artist I'll come back to this and try again...but as for now...this is all I got!

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter