Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Three Little Pigs

Photobucket

I've been working on these for the last few days. I said in a previous post that I had a ton of drawings in a similar fashion - and these are what I've just finished. I want to draw more - I want to keep expanding this line of drawing, and possibly market them...I thought these would lend themselves to a series - as The Three Little Pigs would not only fit into my series of cute characters, but also become a series all to themselves. I did two different versions of them. Originally I wanted them to be completely the same - in the same way that the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were indistinguishable - but what let you know which pig was which was the square behind them:

Photobucket

I started off with the pig shape - wanting just a really cute pig - I figured that once I got into Adobe Illustrator, I could draw in a background behind him. After I finished with the drawing I realized that it'd work better to have more of a hoof on the pig rather than little generic feet (which work with most other characters). So I drew it in next to it (because I could always clean it up and attach it in Illustrator at a later time). Anyhow - I cleaned up the pig, added a square behind him and then copied him two more times. And I had my 3 pigs. I just had to put their signature building items behind them and I was ready to color.

Photobucket

I had finished drawing the three pigs when it occured to me that it'd be fun to do a nude and clothed version. It meant a little more time (but just a little - as I could reuse the pig color and the background color). I like the clothed version better - each one ends up with more of a personality. You'd be able to get more of an idea why each pig would build his house in his particular way.

Photobucket

I still don't know exactly what I'll end up doing with this series of drawings. I'm going to work on getting something licensed - and the more drawings I have, the better chance I'll have towards achieving that goal. In the meantime, these and what else follows can end up in my tiny gallery show in the Nickelodeon hallways this summer. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get enough good stuff going that I'll want to do a real gallery show later down the road. But we'll see...

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter