Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Dr Manhattan: Who Watches the Watchkids?

I finally had the chance to read the comic "The Watchmen." I've always heard a lot about it...and, most recently, because of the talks of a movie adaption, I had to see what all the fuss was about. Was this going to be another horrible take on a movie like The League of Gentlemen was (I never saw that one, because of how bad the reviews were)...but there have been good things said about The Watchmen movie.

So I read the comic - started to anyhow - I'm about three quarters of the way through. It's quite a good story. And I hear the movie is supposed to be quite faithful to the book.

I got the idea to do the Watchmen this last Saturday while I was at the bookstore. I didn't have my laptop with me, but I wanted to get started with it, so I this first version with pencil and watercolor. The colors turned out quite a lot nicer than the scan lets on...but even still, I wasn't going to be satisfied with it until I could get the drawing into my computer and do it for real.

Photobucket

This version I changed a little bit - I actually got some reference for the earth, so the world looks a little more realistic. I would have done stars in the watercolor, but lacking salt, I made do with a starless sky.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Justin Ridge said...

I like this series of illustrations! Very cute.....maybe a little TOO cute..... :)

Rankinstein said...

Really cool!
Dr. Manhattan was my favorite!

...for the omnipotent hubris, not the nudity.

Anonymous said...

... and I liked it 'cause of omnipotent nudity.
Signed: Anonymous.

 
Free Hit Counter